Contact Answers In the News Hot Topics
© 2007-2015. All rights reserved
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Digg
Share on Google Bookmarks
Share on Reddit
Share via e-mail

Pregnancy Bliss | Reproductive Health Hub

Surrogate motherhood and birth certificate

Question:   What countries put the name of the intended parent or parents on the birth certificate as opposed to the name of the birth mother? Are there countries that allow a birth mother to be listed as N/A (not available)? I know some countries like Germany permit that, but then ban surrogacy. Any advice?? L. (Canada)

Answer: The simple answer is, close to (your) home, in the United States. Whilst we have covered the topic of surrogacy in detail but still in general terms for various countries, we are aware that laws governing this in different places are varied and complex, sometimes fiendishly so. In most countries the surrogate is the legal parent at the time of the birth so her name would automatically appear on the birth certificate. The legal custody transfers to the commissioning parents after and a new certificate similar to an adoption certificate is issued which invalidates the birth certificate. In the United States, laws vary by state. However, as far as your inquiry is concerned, Texas is the state where the names of the commissioning parents go directly onto the birth certificate. We have, in fact, touched upon that very question here:

Preventing bacterial vaginosis

Question: I have a problem of a vaginal discharge for a long time now and every time I go for tests, it comes back as BV. I get it treated but the problem keeps coming back. How can I prevent this? A.S. (UK)

Answer: By BV, I am sure you mean bacterial vaginosis. This, unfortunately, is the commonest cause of vaginal discharge. The bad news is that there is no proven way of preventing bacterial vaginosis from happening or recurring. Some people, for unknown reasons, are prone to recurrent bacterial vaginosis. You seem to be one of them. The best advice you can be given is that you should always try to treat the problem at the earliest emergence of symptoms thereby minimising the duration. The topic of bacterial vaginosis (and vaginal discharge in general) is covered in detail in a dedicated section here:

Could I have conceived?

Question:  My cycle takes 31 days. I did sex on the eleventh day after menstrual period. Can I get pregnant? E.C. (USA)

Answer: If your cycle is a very regular 31 days, that will mean you ovulate around Day 17 of the cycle. That makes it unlikely (but not impossible) that you could conceive on Day 11 of the cycle. However, I’m concerned that your counting may be incorrect. You say that you had sex “on the 11th day after menstrual period”.  If you are, indeed, counting after your period, it is possible that this could mean the day you had sex was in fact very close to your Day 17 (depending on the duration of your period), making the possibility of pregnancy much more likely. The counting of the day of the cycle is supposed to start on the first day of your period. You should therefore re-evaluate your possibility of conception on the basis of that accurate calculation.

Where can I get botox for vaginismus?

Question: i am suffering from Vaginismus, and married for last 9 years and still no sex.please please please tell me from where can i get Botox treatment. I have used everything local anesthatics, dilature(i bought but cannot use) GP did not help..please tell me from where can I get the Botox, i am so desperate to have a child, please help me

Answer: Vaginismus is an extremely distressing condition. The description of your situation is a clear testamant to that. It seems you have tried all the conventional means to no avail. You have not said whether your GP has already referred you to a consultant gynaecologist or whether all these measures have been a result of your own initiative. If you haven’t been seen by a specialist, I would suggest that you should formally ask to be referred. That is your right. This will get you an opportunity to have the situation assessed systematically. It may very well be the case that you can then have Botulinum injections (Botox), a treatment which can have spectacular results for this condition.

You may wish to specifically inquire about this treatment especially if there is evidence that you have unsuccessfully used the other forms of treatment you mentioned. The specialist will, of-course, need to assess whether this is the right option for you.I do hope that you will be successful in your quest. However, if you don’t get this from your gynaecologist on the NHS, you should be prepared to seek this privately. I hope that will not be necessary.  My best wishes.

Exposure to measles in pregnancy

Question:  I am 13 weeks 5 days pregnant and my 7 year old has measles. I have been immunised as a little child and already had measles when I was young. Should I worry and would my unborn baby be okay?  ZBA (South Africa)

Answer: With that history, you are almost certainly immune. Your unborn baby should therefore be OK. The vaccination you had as a baby obviously didn’t work and that’s why you contracted measles later. However, that infection would have given you life-long immunity and those antibodies in your circulation do cross freely to the fetus giving effective protection in the womb and for the first few months of life. You can relax.

Botox for vaginismus