Contact Answers In the News Hot Topics
© 2007-2012. All rights reserved
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Digg
Share on Google Bookmarks
Share on Reddit
Share via e-mail

Pregnancy Bliss | Reproductive Health Hub

Pre-eclamsia (APEC) + Miscarriage (MA) + Postnatal Illness (APNI) + Breast Feeding (ABM) + Active Birth (ABC)

Continues from previous page

Is it true that, following a miscarriage, if I don't have an ERPC (a ‘D&C’), I will get an infection?
No. Infection after miscarriage is rare and the risk is the same whether you miscarry naturally, have an ERPC or have medical management.. Sometimes a short course of antibiotics may be prescribed as a precaution if there is deemed to be a risk of infection, but this is not common.

What is a blighted ovum?
This is a description given to a pregnancy in which the pregnancy sac grows but there is no embryo found in the sac. Because the pregnancy tissue that produces the pregnancy hormone is growing normally, the woman may not be aware that there is anything amiss until she has a routine scan or perhaps has some bleeding. . Why a baby fails to develop in its first few weeks  is poorly understood. . Blighted ovum is also called ‘anembryonic pregnancy’ or “early embryonic demise”.

The scan, showed the baby was smaller than they think it should be. Why do I have to wait another two weeks before they do something?
It can be difficult to be certain whether the baby is the right size for dates or not, especially if you conceived earlier or later than your dates might suggest.  Doing a repeat scan after one or two weeks can show whether the pregnancy is growing at the rate that it should.  

Do you advise having hormone injections? My doctor won't prescribe them but my friend had them and then had a baby.
Although some doctors do still prescribe hormone injections or tablets, research has shown that they do not reduce miscarriage risk, except in a very small group of women with very irregular periods.  Some women who have hormone treatment may indeed have a successful pregnancy, but there is no way of knowing that this is because of the treatment – it is more likely to be simply chance or  perhaps because of the support and care they received during their pregnancy.  

Can I insist on having investigations?
The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommends that investigations should be carried out after a woman has had three consecutive miscarriages.  In some cases, e.g. when a woman is older, has fertility problems or has had at least one late miscarriage (after 13 weeks), they would carry out investigations after two losses.  

The reason for this is that most women who have one or even two miscarriages are far more likely to have a healthy pregnancy next time than another miscarriage.  What’s more, having investigations doesn’t mean that a clear cause – or treatment – will be found: in fact this happens in less than half of the couples investigated for recurrent miscarriage.

The only way that you can insist on having investigations would be if you pay for them to be done privately.  Even if you can afford this, you may need to ensure that the doctor or clinic you attend is reputable and their treatments are based on sound and accepted research.